lemon-meringue

3:02 PM

I love lemon-meringue pie.
It's always been one of those things that I thought was too tricky and fiddly to make but I got a new cookbook called puddings and pies and decided to give it a go with some shortcrust pastry I had in the freezer.

It's actually a great recipe in that there are only a few moments that you actually need to be cooking. It took me longer than a day to finish these which was really convenient.

Makes 12


pastry
Cut circles out of shortcrust pastry and stick them in a muffin tray.
Put it in the fridge. I left mine in overnight but 30 mins is fine.
lemon
Put 1/2 cup cornflour, 1 cup caster sugar in a saucepan.
Add 1/2 cup lemon juice till it becomes smooth.
Stir and boil till the mixture thickens. This will happen pretty quickly so keep an eye on it.
When thick, take it off the heat.
Add to this 60g butter, 3 egg yolks and the rind of your lemons.
Cool the mix for 10 mins.
Spread the mix into the pastry cases and leave for 2 hrs. I left it overnight again.
meringue
whip up the egg whites till soft peaks form (I never knew what this was till I made these. It's really obvious when you do it.)
Add 1/2 cup of sugar gradually till it dissolves.
Spoon onto your tarts and bake in a HOT 240' oven for 2 mins.

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.